Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Dermatillomania

I'm a pretty hardcore skin picker.

My skin is not terrible.  It was once, and I took Accutane to deal with it, but now my skin issues are mostly in my head.  Intellectually, I know that the slight darkness of a pore is just a sebaceous filament, and that they belong there, and that going after them with fingernails and implements will only make a hole in my face....

The satisfaction of seeing that little seed thingy pop out of the pore is REALLY soothing.  Even though it makes me bleed and scab and scar.  I'm sure there's some deep psychological reason I find that pleasant.

I finally hid my blackhead extractor in a drawer far from my bathroom.  I didn't throw it away, because sometimes that's the only way to get a furious zit that's in a funny spot, but I now have to walk to another room to retrieve it.  I have to acknowledge that yes, I am about to do damage to myself to unearth something nobody else can see, much less care about.

I haven't dug at my skin for three days.

I wonder how long it takes for all the wounds to heal?

2 comments:

  1. When I do that, it often comes back and then I scar. Ugh. It's the same thing that used to make us pick our peeling burned skin. Some weird impulse. Resist! Resist! I got to busy to pick at my face and some recurrent blackeads have gone away. Although I love seeing those things pop out. A filthy, yet very satisfying habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. face, body acne, sunburns, scabs, hangnails, cuticles, my kid's cradle-cap … tho I don't do that as much since i don't want to pass the bad habit on.

    ReplyDelete