1. Post award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who presented this award to you and link back to their blog.
3. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 blogs who you deserve this award and who have fewer than 200 followers.
5. Answer the 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
My entire blog is a compilation of random facts.
1. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in a past life, I made ceremonial headgear for some sort of temple. It is the only possible explanation for my compulsive need to make ridiculous hat things. They're so not wearable, and becoming a storage problem, but I just can't help myself. Wire Anubis head? Carnivore flower feather fascinator? Fictional star system? Bunny ears? Rat ears? Moth antenna hatband with all five patterns of caterpillar instar? Elaborate witch hats? It's getting ridiculous in here. If I were a better photographer, I'd show y'all.
2. My house, which was my grandmother's, is a mishmash of Japanese antique furniture, midcentury modern, 90s upholstery draped in canvas dropcloths, and gold plastic dinosaurs. Most of the rooms in this house are heavily pink, except my guest room, which is where all non-pink and non-Japanese-antique objects live. It's olive green and brown and leopard. I strive for tackiness, but usually I just achieve total disorder.
3. After working outdoors for 13 years, I am reluctant to spend any of my free time there. The idea of going hiking or camping makes me grumpy, because it's too much like being at work. I don't want a table on the patio at a restaurant. I'm not even super fond of sitting in my yard, much to my cat's dismay (he requires supervision outside, and he wants to be outside all the damn time).
4. The day I realized that having children was optional was one of the best days of my life. I have no desire to be anyone's mother. I find babies and young children utterly uninteresting. I will interact with elementary school kids because I am paid to do so, but if I'm off the clock.... no. That said, I like certain individual children, and I am very nice to kids that I come into contact with. Kids often like me because I'm silly and I have purple hair and I tend to have candy and treasures on me at all times. I'm a very good teacher. I'm just glad there aren't any children in my house.
5. I do not like suspense-and-startle movies, and will probably not go see Jurassic World because of it. I love dinosaurs, and I love Chris Pratt, and I love ridiculous campy plot lines, but I have enough problems with anxiety. I also do not do gore. Nope. Not interested.
6. I love my dog into the cores of my bones, but I am really more of a cat person.
7. I am extremely open about my mental health issues (ADHD peppered with OCD and chronic mild-to-moderate depression) because I do not think that they are shameful things that should be hidden. I wish more people would be up-front about their own issues, because I think we'd all be a little gentler with each other if we could see how scarred everyone is.
8. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
9. I am a creature of habit. I order the same thing at a restaurant every time. I wear the same basic outfit every day. I have M-W-F shoes, T-Th shoes, and weekend shoes. I have carried the same purse since 2007. I don't like interrupting my routines. When I deviate from the choreography of my life, I get sick.
10. My bedtime was 15 minutes ago, and I am sleepy, but I will finish this.
11. I am allergic to cherries.
1. When and why did you start blogging? I can't remember anymore. Years ago. Mostly because I needed a place to vent. It's cheaper than therapy.
3. How would you describe your style of dress? "Total apathy." I wear jeans and a tee shirt every day. I have two pair of minimalist Merrells that I rotate during the week, and a pair of Crocs I wear on the weekends because I have plantar fasciitis and they're the only shoes that don't hurt. I buy clothes maybe once a year, usually jeans and black hoodies. I hate shopping, and I don't like trying to put together an outfit. It's that "creature of habit" thing.
4. What religion of philosophy do you ascribe to? In the voting booth, I am a secular humanist. In my personal dealings, I strive to be kind. I hero worship Steve Irwin and Bob Ross and Carl Sagan and Jim Henson. I like stories about Deities. I am distrustful of organized religions and anyone who thinks there's only one way up the mountain. I'm not worried about what happens after death, I'm worried about suffering in life. I am always aware of the phases of the moon and the equinoxes and solstices. I like seasonal holidays. I've read a lot of the books, but didn't feel compelled to buy any of them. When I am old, I want neighborhood children to whisper about me.
5. What are your favorite TV shows on the air right now? I don't watch TV. The only current shows that I bother to stream are Archer, Bob's Burgers, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. I listen to podcasts more than anything else. I currently rotate through StarTalk, The Infinite Monkey Cage, The Nerdist, Girl on Guy, The Smartest Man In The World, and Welcome to Night Vale.
6. What other hobbies to you participate in, besides blogging? I make stuff. I sculpt, I sew, I paint, I draw, I build, I jury-rig, I cobble, I cook, I dye, I design, I costume.... I'm pretty creative. Let's see.... I read a lot, all non-fiction. I walk the dog. I play with the cat. I entertain the rats. I make my hair funny colors. I sometimes watch birds.
7. If you participate in the arts, which ones do you participate in? Are you a hobbyist or a professional? Well, I do all the stuff I mentioned above... I also do makeup for the Pageant of the Masters in the summertime, and I've been doing it for 13 years, but that's a volunteer gig. I am not good at exchanging money for art. I'm not opposed to it, but I usually do things because I enjoy the creative and technical challenges. I'm not prone to making more than one of anything.
8. If a movie was made of your life, what actor/actress would play you? It'd probably be animated. Maybe puppets. I wanna do my own voice. I've got some rather distinct speech patterns and vocal tics. I'd like to see people's impressions of me, though.
9. Choose one: Coffee or Tea? Plain black tea, iced is better than hot. I don't drink coffee. I gave up Diet Pepsi last summer. Now I drink a lot of plain seltzer water.
10: What colors have you dyed your hair? I have had basically every hair color that is possible in the human hair color spectrum- from platinum blonde to black, and all points in between. I have also gone every shade of purple, every shade of pink from lychee to magenta, reds from fire engine to burgundy, orange that faded to yellow, various blues from periwinkle to cobalt to navy, all the turquoises from aqua to teal, and the greens from mint to lime to emerald. I am currently mostly blue-purple, with blonde-grey-lavender around my hairline.
11. Introvert, extrovert, or ambivert? Introvert. I interact with a lot of people at work (mostly children, who are energy vampires). When I get home, I have nothing left. I love revolving sushi bars, the self-checkout lanes at the grocery store, text messaging, and online tutorials, because they do not involve interacting with others. I like people well enough, but they're exhausting. I'm a friendly hermit.
Everyone I read has basically already done this one before, so how about this- if you read this, and you want to answer questions like those up there, consider yourself nominated, and link to it in the comments, so I can read about you?
Tell me all about yourselves, darlings.
Whoa, I really WAS tired when I hit "publish" last night, that was REALLY badly formatted. I think I fixed it?