Friday, May 9, 2014

Sometimes it pays to show the wounds

I cancelled my trip next weekend- I can't justify spending 4 days out of town, and $500+ dollars, when the dog is possibly dying.  The hotel I could bail out of until the 15th, but the tickets to MakerFaire were no-refunds-no-exchanges sorts of things.

I don't usually challenge policies like that.  The rules apply to me, and I make my own choices.  I'm not the sort of person to yell at the customer service rep or send my entree back.

But it's $60.  With the amount of work I've missed due to vet visits, and the horrifying amount of money I'm going to be spending at the oncologist on Monday, I decided to try.

I emailed MakerFaire's customer service to ask for a refund.

"I just found out that my dog has a very aggressive sort of cancer, and I won't be able to attend the event.  I know it's silly, but my dog is my best friend, and I can't spend the weekend away from her when I know she might not have many weekends left."

The customer service rep replied within 5 minutes.

"We don't usually refund, but I just lost a furry friend of my own.  Spend time with your dog.  My condolences.  Your purchase has been refunded to your credit card."

The older I get, the more I realize that if you show people your wounds (your REAL wounds, not your "I ORDERED MY STEAK MEDIUM AND THIS IS MEDIUM WELL YOU SHOULD ALL BE FIRED" wounds), they will recognize them, because they have scars in the exact same place.

Thank you, MakerFaire Customer Service Rep.  You made a crappy situation a little less crappy.  My condolences on the loss of your friend.

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Trixie and I hope it hasn't spread.

    I think we are so used to sugar coating and manipulating that sometimes when someone offers you the (painful) truth it touches something deep inside we had almost forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the world would be like if everyone's wounds were visible.

      Delete
    2. hopefully, if they were, we'd all be kinder to one another. maybe life would be better if we always interacted like everyone we met needed extra care. because often times they do.

      Delete
  2. There actually ARE some compassionate people left. That's nice to know.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Made me a little weepy.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for not chiming in here sooner, but I read it all... this is rough, because it reminds me of how I wasn't there for my own pooch during his last days.
    I *really* hope that Trixie pulls through this-- she reminds me so much of my Chico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dreading the oncologist. Dreading. Like, I should be in bed and I'm still fooling around on the internet trying to think of anything else.

      I hate this.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely response. Thank you for sharing it. So often people only share the crappy service they get so it's nice to hear when someone is human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got support in such unexpected places - like my phone provider - when my (now ex) husband and I split. It's good to be reminded that there are still compassionate people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so, that got me all verklempt. there are still good people in this world.

    ReplyDelete