Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cap'n Mankybeard and the Predator Prince

Let it never be said that I live a boring life.

On Friday, May 16th, my dog had her eye removed.  The surgeon was surprised at how contained the tumor was, as usually these things have tendrils creeping into other tissues.  This one was quite solid, and had an edge, and he seemed pretty optimistic about having gotten it all, even without MRIs or CAT scans.
DIZ WEEKEND SUKD.
My coworker SF took the kitten for a few days, so that I could tend to my drunk, coned-up pirate dog.  This was a lovely gesture, and allowed her kids to have Super Fun Mammal Time without the problems that come with owning a Super Fun Mammal.  Everyone is a winner in this game.  The dog got some quiet time, the kitten got to play nonstop for an entire weekend, I got to sleep past 540 in the morning, and her family got to spoil the hell out of the Predator Prince.  He enjoyed his weekend so much that I caught him sleeping in his travel carrier, something he's NEVER done before.  
THIS BOX TOOK ME TO MY YOUNG BIPED FRIEND ONCE.  I SHALL SLEEP IN THE VISITING BOX.
The pirate dog is no longer really in pain from the surgery, but she must remain in the cone until the 28th, when her stitches come out.  Food gets stuck in the cone, and gets squished into her beard, so that's sorta manky and gross.  She has been bashing her cone on every possible surface, trying to itch the surgery site.  Yesterday, she figured out how to get the kitten to untie the string holding the cone together, so she could get out of it.

Poodles are terrifyingly smart animals.

After 5 days of being home with the recuperating pirate dog, and 3 days of running interference so that the kitten wouldn't reach into the cone and smack the incision, I went back to work.  There, I discovered that all of my monarch chrysalises have parasites.  Wonderful.  Coworker AL's comment:  "Man, you just can't catch a break, can you?"  Nope.  No, I can't.

One of the rats made an upsetting breathing sound this morning, so I'm watching him like a hawk to make sure he's not developing pneumonia.

This week, I have to build a large sea-serpent puppet for 10 people.  The kitten barely allows me to type, so bending wires and sewing fabric on those wires should be a challenge.

I also have to make a prototype name tag for this year's Pageant.  I came up with the idea before everything came apart at the seams, so this should be interesting.

It's really hard to type with a kitten latched onto your arm.  Leggo, dude.

Oh well.  At least I have things to do.

11 comments:

  1. that is WAY WAY WAY more hectic than i even imagined. dealing with cone-headed-canine is hard enough without all the fringe things. i shall continue sending good vibes your way . . . you'd think you'd've wracked up enough positive karma to catch a break about now . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is a circus in the worst possible way. Oh well. I can think of a hundred other ways life could go to hell, so I suppose I'll just stick with this one.

      Delete
    2. for truth. did i tell you Gus's hair has been falling out for the last few months? they did an extra blood test at his last checkup. apparently he has a thyroid issue. as in: his thyroid ain't been makin' nuttin' . . . so they put him on meds. and told us to let them know if he was more aggressive/anxious or ate more/less so they can tweak his meds. of course, our Trix was in heat this whole month, so we can't really tell if his behavior is thyroid-weird or bitch-in-heat normal.

      (also, i feel a small sense of satisfaction that i was actually the first commentator this go around.)

      Delete
    3. Oh, what a treat. An experiment without a fixed variable.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear the tumor was totally removed and she is on the mend. Did the other eye get checked out yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surgeon eye guy wasn't super concerned, as it's not raised. He thinks it's just a freckle (she has freckles in her mouth and on her belly) and I never noticed it before because I wasn't paranoid about dark spots yet. We're going to watch it, just in case.

      Delete
    2. It's a relief to hear the other eye is probably all right. I've got my fingers crossed for all three of you.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad all is well with the pirate dog!

    The sea serpent sounds great - pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it just looks like wires and barbecue skewers.

      Delete
  4. I hope your dog will have a fast recover and never have any following problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeeeee tooooooo. She seems like she feels okay.

      Delete