Monday, December 2, 2013

Words and pictures

Sooooo, what's been going on in The Cave lately?

I tie dyed some sheets for Coworker ML who moved back to the PacNW.  She likes octopussessessesss, and the color turquoise, so I ran with that theme.
Fitted sheet.  The rings look like suckers or fossil coral or droplets falling into water.  It's damn near impossible to photograph a fitted sheet without a mattress.
Sucker rings on the top sheet.
Sucker rings on the bottom of the pillowcase, fish bones on the top.
Gotta have something to wrap these sheets in... I wonder if I can tie-dye an octopus?
Oh, shit, no, that's creepy as hell.  It's District 9 meets Lovecraft.  Good execution, though.  Awful design.
Well, it's slightly less creepy.  Execution isn't as good, though.  Looks like an alien with a fancy fancy beard.  I gave this to her so she can make a throw pillow if she's feeling wacky.
Third time's the charm.  Nailed it!  The heart on the forehead is totally intentional, by the way.  >flexing<
Looks super cute wrapped, too.  The tentacles hug the present.  Awwww.  And yes, she cried when I gave this to her.


 What else?  It's been Home Improvement week in The Cave.

Got my dining set out of my tiny tiny kitchen and into my dining room.
Decided that the upholstery on the chairs was beyond awful, and the metal frames needed a paint job, so Mom took them apart.  I'm on wire-brush-and-paint duty.
Yes, I am ABSOLUTELY going to reupholster my dining chairs with this gloriously obnoxious fabric.  It matches EVERYTHING in my house.  EVERYTHING.
Including my front door.  Still needs a few more coats to be even, and to have the blue tape peeled off the glass and hardware.  But still.  Behr's "Delicious Berry."  Not bad, eh?
Lessee, what else? 

Got mah hurr did.
Made Spectra pretty for the holidays.
Designed a logo for my experimental camp for 7th and 8th graders this summer.
Kissed Kevin for a promotional email at work.  Kevin is the lizard.  Kevin is a girl.  Kevin was not amused.
Gave offerings to Geraldine the Destroyer, Eater of Parsley...
...and her minion, ManMan.  

I've actually been in a pretty good mood.  Way less stressed out and anxious.  Could it be because I have breathing room?  Could it be that my life is not a chaotic mess anymore?

Could it be that I have a fleece penguin outfit that I've been wearing pretty much constantly when I'm not at work?  IF I DON'T GO TO WORK I NEVER HAVE TO CHANGE OUT OF IT AHAHAHAHAHAAA



14 comments:

  1. Those octupi are amazing! I thought the first one was amazing but the last one was off the hook! I'm so glad that life is looking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure I could reproduce them if I tried! Not entirely sure how I managed that last one, either. >lots of planning, lots of luck<

      Delete
  2. Fabulous sheets and simply amazing octopuses! What a great gift.
    Love your front door, your hair and your bike too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, fang you. I've been on a make-it-pretty kick.

      Delete
  3. Your tie dye work is amazing! I think all the octopusses went great! You really made some efforts dyeing the furoshiki wrap. I'm not surprised at all that she cried :).
    Your haircolour is fabulous and so is the new cut <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still upset that I haven't been able to do a bat yet, but I am reasonably sure I could do a spider now. A spider is just an octopus in armor, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I'm not surprised she cried either - you should totally be flexing! :o)

    What an awesome week, Tante - you got a lot done. Love that new front door! Hair looks pretty amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My door is making my little rectangular box house far snazzier.

      Delete
  5. New hurr looks good! ;)

    You've also made it incredibly apparent there is a lack of octo-love in my life... I need something similar! That's skills to the pay the bills, I tell ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm limited to molluscs. I did an owl, too... it's like a C+. When it's an A I shall post pics.

      Delete
  6. Awww... the pillow cases looks really good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The main body of the flat sheet also has fish bone stripes. It's a very watery sort of bed.

      Delete
  7. The sheet set is just about the sweetest gesture I've ever seen!

    And OMG YOUR FRONT DOOR. I wants it. I own a house with a Spanish-style exterior. I hate it. Purple door with stained glass would look ridiculous. *SOB* (Interior is fully Dark Neo-Victorian, but that only works because you cannot see the interior and the exterior simultaneously.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it looks ridiculous on my little 50s California ranch-style house. My house is frighteningly architecturally dull, the door doesn't match even remotely! But it is the door I have, and it was peeling and in need of a new lockset, so I figured "what the hell." It amuses me every time I come home.

      Delete