Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Today's highlights

Woke up to find the Old Man Cat unable to stand, unable to eat, and pitched forward into the food bowl.  He then proceeded to have a weird slow-motion seizure and then shit himself in the carrier on the way to the vet.  Turns out he's had unbelievably low blood sugar for at least two weeks, was borderline dead when the vet techs got some glucose in his system, and needs less than a quarter of the insulin that he's been getting. Today's emotional damage-  I am terrified to give him his insulin, because he hasn't eaten very much since coming home.  Today's financial damage- over a grand, which my mother generously picked up because I do not have that kind of cash, and we get to go back on Thursday and then again in two weeks.  It will take me months to pay her back, but it's better than owing a credit card company or not having any options at all.


The library project at work was restarted after taking an hour and a half to figure out how I had it laid out the first time before I got interrupted by 900 other things.  As soon as I got it sorted, I had to stop again, as there was a meeting in the library.  I cannot touch the project tomorrow or Thursday, as I am teaching twice on both days, and it takes about an hour to restart the project every time.  Oh well.  At least I had a half-hour warning that the meeting was going to occur, and I was able to at least stack the books in piles that correspond to their new numbering system.  Maybe I can get to it on Friday.  Maybe the labels I ordered will have arrived by then.


Not that I could catalog any of the books anyway, since the database program simply will not open on my work computer.  I can't think of a ray of sunshine to blow up this one's ass.  Fuck Filemaker.


Was just attacked by a large aggressive dog while walking Trixie.  This dog broke down its own front fence to come after us.  I am large enough and loud enough that the dog decided against it (but still came back for another threat run), but it still scared the hell out of me.  This is the second time we have been attacked by large aggressive dogs who have either scaled or broken down front yard fences while walking.  Trixie seems to have no idea that she was just about to get her throat torn out.  Physical damage- turned ankle and knee from evasive action, swollen wrist from yanking her leash to keep her from further angering the attacking dog.  Emotional damage- now a little more paranoid about other dogs, nerves completely shot.  At least Trix is in one piece.


I've been pulling Tarot cards lately, just to give myself something to get a grip on when things start going to hell.  This morning I pulled a Reversed Wheel of Fortune (bad luck) and this afternoon I pulled a Nine of Swords (drama queen).  Indeed.

October 15, I am 100% done with you.




8 comments:

  1. Oh boy. At least it wasn't the freaking Tower with the Nine of Swords, but Swords?!? That suit has been the bane of my existence these last few years so I feel your pain. Wanna come and stay with me for a while? I'll smudge the hell out of you and then fill you with good food and drink.

    Sending you lots and lots of love, my dear friend. LOTS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised at how often I pull the Queen of Swords in reference to myself. It's swords all up in The Cave. The Tower is, fortunately, rare. I've pulled it maybe twice in 20 years.

      I do salt and bells. Allergies, yanno. ;)

      Delete
  2. Yikes! The terrifying cat scare would have been plenty of bad for one day even without the harrowing dog attack. I hope Old Man Cat's health will now be on the mend.And hopefully the universe will get its act together and start rewarding you for your good deeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Man seems fine. Yesterday was just a train wreck, I guess. If I didn't laugh I'd cry!

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping that Old Man Cat is still doing fine?
    At least the 15th is past now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Man seems okay. I hesitate to use the word "perky," but... he's pretty perky. Went for a sugar check this morning, it was a little high for a guy who hadn't had any breakfast, but the doc said that's pretty much par for the course when this sort of thing happens. There's a lot of wobble as he readjusts. We go back again on Tuesday. So far, so good...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. When it rains, it pours. Story of my life.

      Delete