Sunday, October 6, 2013

Planning the Shuffle

So, now that I KNOW I am getting my house back in less than 30 days, I am abandoning all Halloween prep in favor of Whole House Tetris prep.

I have a lot of furniture.  It's part of the fun of living in your grandmother's house- the house was full when I got here, and I brought my own furniture.  The furniture that was already here is all enormous and antique.  The furniture that I brought is all particleboard and shitty, except my dressers.  Unfortunately, the shitty particleboard serves functions that the antiques do not, and vice versa.

My dining room has been home to an antique cherrywood bedroom set that was way too huge for the guest room that it lived in for 50 years.  The giant dresser/mirror has become a very tall credenza, currently housing my liquor on top and all my office stuff in the drawers.  There are also two nightstands and a vanity.  Added to this is a particleboard rolltop desk that has the rest of my office supplies and some filing cabinets.  I do not have anywhere to sit and eat- I eat over the sink like a frat boy, or on my back patio at a termite-ridden picnic table.  If it's raining, the patio is a no-go.

In my tiny kitchen is a small round dining table and two chairs.  I have no idea why it's in there, my grandmother was weird about compartmentalizing the house.  It is in no way useful, and makes it hard to get in and out of the door.  It's also ugly, but I can deal with ugly.

My den is home to a smallish ugly couch, an antique Indonesian chest, a barrel shaped end table with storage underneath, and a red metal locker cabinet TV thing from Ikea.  There are bookshelves flanking the fireplace, but they are shitty particleboard and cannot hold more than 35 pounds per shelf (wtf?).  They are already bowed.  Part of me thinks I should just build something into the space that will actually, yanno, SUPPORT books.  The other part of me is already overwhelmed with projects.

In the office, there will be two shitty particleboard bookshelves that actually hold a lot of weight and don't look bad, a shitty particleboard corner desk that I brought home from college that has probably been utterly ruined, a large antique blanket chest full of linens, and my great-grandmother's gliding chair, which needs to be reupholstered but is otherwise fine (and has swan heads supporting the armrests, which is glorious).  There is also a wooden dresser in there, which does not have to live there.

In the guest room there are (or will be) two silver-painted wooden dressers and a twin bed.  There is also a cherrywood pie table currently serving as a nightstand.

So far, I think I have everything sorted out, but I just don't know what to do with the rolltop desk, the vanity, the nightstands, or the red TV cabinet (I have no TV).

I should measure things and start drawing up a battle plan.

I should also work on my floor (I'm 1/6 done with my den floor!).

I'm getting my houuuuuuuuuuse back.  I'm getting my houuuuuuuuuuuuse back.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds so exciting, Tante! Nothing like a good overhaul of the house to make you feel better. Could you give away the rolltop, vanity, etc. or are they family stuff you need to keep?

    I gotta tell ya, we got furniture flying out the door here once I found out how much it was going to cost to store it for six months. All that's left now is the stuff I absolutely love - which ends up being the antiques and things my father made for me and almost nothing else. Feels good. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of this stuff is antique (but not in a style that is currently in demand, alas) that it's gotta stick around. My family is almost laughably small, and I'm the only one who likes old things.

      I was struck with a bolt of brilliance at midnight last night. I may have figured out a solution to all my surplus furniture, AND it all stays here and all stays functional. I'm going to play with Google Sketchup to see if I'm correct.

      Delete
  2. It feels like a big cleansing project. Both from the parasite person who lived at your place and a cluttered home. I think your colourchoices of the door is lovely. I would love to see more of the transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to document as much of the transformation as I can. Some of the stuff I have planned.... I'm gonna need another vacation just to implement some of this!

      Delete
  3. That's really awesome that you're finally able to claim your home again.
    I know all too well the feeling of overhauling your home-- I've been on the same track.
    I really hope it turns out how you picture it; sometimes that can be the most disappointing.

    Those antiques sure sound interesting... especially that swan chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google Sketchup is one of the most marvelous things I can imagine for planning foolishness like this. All your designs can be colored, flipped around, looked at from various angles, rearranged, you name it. The software takes a little getting used to, but I find it's a really useful tool to get a firm idea of what something will actually look like.

      Delete