Monday, May 20, 2013

My navel is pretty deep, yo

So, hi.  What's up?  Tell me a story.

My story isn't very exciting lately.  My hair fantasies have been put on hold while money is re-assigned to various important pursuits.  I'm out of meds so I've been a scattered mess.  I've been very short with people lately.  I don't have enough left in me to be able to handle trivial inconveniences.

Mom says she's worried about me.  Good.  I'm worried about me, too.  I'm not very good at taking care of myself, apparently.

I got the green light to tear out the carpet in most of my house.  The idea nearly made me cry from relief.  Between the trapped allergens and the uncleanable animal-related filth, the carpet is a giant drain on finances and sanity.  I am replacing it with paper-bag flooring, which will be moppable.  Well, at least to a greater extent than carpet.  I wonder if my constant low-grade headache will go away.

I am going to try to finagle my way out of working on the Friday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday afterwards.  I think I can probably do what needs to be done in five days of feverish work.  I am mildly concerned about the financial aspect of it- PTO needs advanced notice, unless it's a sick day. This is technically healthcare-related- I'm always sick and cranky, removing the carpet will help alleviate that, right?  This is preventative medicine.  Surely my coworkers will understand how badly I need these two days.

There is a hummingbird nest in the jasmine on my porch.  The eggs have not hatched yet.  I cannot kill the jasmine (allergy, I hate it I hate it I hate it) until the wee birds have flown away.  It takes them at least 3 weeks to fledge.  I'm not sure how long the eggs have been there, but the momma bird is quite protective of them.  She's sitting out there now.

A friend tried to set me up with someone she met online.  This person lives several cities over, and the idea of it made me feel panicked.  I don't have any energy left for new people, and I don't have enough time in my day to even take care of myself.

I still don't have new work shoes.  I'm down to one wearable pair of pants.

I will feel better once my immediate surroundings no longer make me physically ill.

4 comments:

  1. Tearing out carpet is AWESOME. You know it traps dirt but when you see the underside... yikes! I imagine you will see significant relief when it's gone. I'm curious about the paper-bag flooring...

    Even without allergies, I'm not a fan of jasmine. A hummingbird nest is cool, though. Those eggs must be teeny tiny. A robin has recently built a nest on top of my electrical panel box, of all places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shudder to think of what's lurking beneath. I also shudder to think of moving all my shit. My closets are still full of stuff my mother has yet to deal with, so there's no place to really put anything- it's going to sit on the back porch, mostly. I can't leave the antique woodwork out there for a week and a half, though... hmm.

      Delete
  2. The paper bag flooring posts that I have seen look amazing! I would love to see your posts for that. I'm suffering mightily with the allergies this season. I hope that you can make your surroundings less allergy-producing soon. I hate the runny nose aspect of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This spring has been far worse than other springs. Filthy plants and their filthy pollen.

      Delete