Saturday, September 1, 2012

September Theme: Someone Special


It would seem that most of the people who participated in Sophistique Noir's September theme posted about their significant others.  I find this heartwarming, because I like to see weirdos (come on, you've thought of yourself as a weirdo at some point, if you were normal you wouldn't be reading this blog, I think weirdos are the very best sort of people) who have found each other.  

However, I'm single.  This weirdo has yet to find another weirdo to love.  And my friends are special and weird, but really, there is only one person to whom I should devote this post-

My Mother.

The Grand Weirdo.

Her Weirdness taught me about the outdoors.  I spent time in the bushes as a child, and at the beach, and in the mountains, and in the desert.  We still enjoy dirt together.

Tidepooling in Dana Point a few years ago.

Her Weirdness taught me to love animals, and that pets are for better or for worse.  Inconvenience is not a factor. 
Mom and her granddog, Trixie, looking purdy for Christmas.
She recently became an Oma, to my brother's kids.  One does not mess with Oma.  Although, one does apparently cover Oma's house in red lipstick and gel candle goo.  Oma still loves her little boys.  She shall perpetuate the weird with another generation.  Incidentally, these two little dudes are the reason I'm "Tante."
Oma meets her Bug, 2010 
Oma's Bug got bigger, 2011
Oma gains a Hopper, 2012

Her Weirdness is a skilled Maker Of Things, and is probably where I inherited it from.  Dad's clever, too, but his process is different.
Hardanger ring pillow for a friend's wedding, 2008
Pony swing, 2007?  We had one just like it when we were kids.
She does not shy away from public foolishness, and thoroughly enjoys wearing ridiculous, costumey things.  From her, I learned that there is no such thing as "too much," only "not enough."
I am responsible for the eyelashes, the head thing, and the shitty photograph.  No snappy snaps while you're drinking, Tante.  They don't end up flattering to anyone.
Halloween is important.  Her Weirdness as Frida Kahlo, and the Heir Apparent as a witch.  This, my friends, is why we don't let the short people take our pictures.  It's not a cute angle.
My mother is my landlord, my therapist, my voice of reason, my partner in many crimes, my ride to Pageant, my dog's babysitter, and my cat washing assistant.  I look like my father, my essential habits and personality traits are my father's, but when push comes to shove, I am my mother's child.

Magnificent hat by Her Weirdness.  Devil Eyes courtesy of the Heir Apparent.


                                                

21 comments:

  1. It´s so sweet you chose your mum as your someone special! And I like her a lot in the big red hat! She looks like charming witch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for a bridal shower, where they were instructed to wear a hat. When we wear hats, we wear HATS.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. She took a bit of umbrage with the term "Weirdo," but she doesn't really grasp how much better weirdos are than other people.

      Delete
  3. So sweet. When she smiles you guys look VERY alike.
    Isn't it great to know where your weirdness comes from and be able to cherish it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Grand Weirdo passed away in 2009... the line is pure. We absolutely know where it all came from.

      Delete
  4. I think I'd like your mother A LOT! That Frida K. costume had me LMAO (impressed I know that one, aren't ya?).

    All Hail the Grand Weirdness and the Heir Apparent! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Frida wig has been passed around a few times, too. Everyone likes a unibrow.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall relay this sentiment to Her Weirdness!

      Delete
  6. :) As someone who adores her Momma too, Tante this post was just precious and wonderful and so special. You Mom and my Mom look like they can get along VERY well. My Mom is pretty darned awesomely weird too. :D HUZZAH for Tante's Momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't think she's weird. Bullshit, normal people don't produce weirdos of my caliber!

      Delete
  7. Awww, your mother is awesome!! I'm guessing there's some German heritage there, with 'Oma' and 'Tante'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere, way back. We're mostly English and Dutch, but I studied German in high school. "Oma" and "Tante" are just so much more pleasant to say than "Grandma" and "Auntie," don't you think?

      Delete
  8. I was hoping someone would do a mother-daughter post for this theme! You're the only one, so far, who's such a good daughter. ;) Yes, it's easy to see from these photos where you get your personality from. She looks like a fun lady, and you two look SO alike in the Halloween photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I think is so funny is that I really do look more like my father. Everyone thinks I look like Mom until they meet him, and then they go "ohhhhhh, yeah." I have her eyes and her nose, though. Everything else is Dad.

      Delete
  9. That's awesome :) your mom sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is. And I shall share the sentiment with her.

      Delete
  10. Ha ha wonderful post about your mother! She seems like a wonderful person. We say the same thing. Normal and perfect people are a little scary, weird is good. :) She is very good with her needle. I have worked a bit with hardanger myself and it is fun and tricky. Thanks for sharing an important person in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never understand how she can pull all those little teeny threads...

      Delete
  11. Fantastic! I also have "the worlds best mom" and it's great to see a Mom honored like this!

    ReplyDelete