Saturday, July 7, 2012

Zucchini Muffins, for all your bumper-crop needs.


It would seem that many of you have a bumper crop of zucchini.  I have a solution for you.  I am not an amazing cook.  I am competent, with a few specialties..  What I AM good at, however, is shamelessly lifting recipes from other people.  This one was lifted a million years ago, from the mother of one of the girls in my Girl Scout troop.  These things were legendary.  

Next time, y'all, pick them when they're still tiny!

1 ½ cups oatmeal
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour  
1 ¼ cups wheat germ
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt (or less to taste)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1-¼ cups honey
4 eggs
1 cup oil
2-3 cups grated, unpeeled raw zucchini
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (almonds are great)
½-1 cup raisins

Preheat your oven to 350.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Combine sugar and eggs in a large bowl.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Gradually add oil and beat constantly for 2-3 minutes.  Add zucchini and vanilla and blend well.  Stir in nuts and raisins.  Fold in dry ingredients until evenly moist.  DO NOT OVERMIX!  Fill paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full and sprinkle with wheat germ.  Bake 25 minutes and cool on a rack.  

I suggest adding dried cranberries and frosting the whole thing with cream cheese frosting, like a delightful carrot-cake-cousin.


5 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm making these now and will post how they turn out! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm in the middle of zucchini muffin goodness too! YUMMO! And don't forget folkls, muffins FREEZE very well. Talk about a treat when the zucchini plants are done and dead. ;) It'll be canning time soon!!! Sigh ... I LOVE the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to post my other zucchini recipes. I do something lovely called "Something Green in a Red Sauce." It's delightful.

      Delete
    2. Don't forget the tomatoes and vodka! ;)

      Delete