Sunday, May 13, 2012

Prized Posessions (long and pic heavy)



I have a powerful pack-rat gene.  I have a lot of stuff.  I am emotionally attached to some of the oddest things you can imagine.  I have many many treasures.

In a fire, of course, I would worry most about these little fuzz heads.

WE IZ ON FYER?  WE CAN SAVEZ SQUEEKY TOY?
MAKE SURE YOU SAVE MY FOOD, TOO.   AND MY INSULIN.
These are my coworkers.  I'd stuff them in my pockets and run.
And, like anyone else, I'd save my laptop.  It's got all my pictures on it.

PRECIOUSSSSSS.
However.

My parents got robbed recently.  They stole all of my mother's jewelry.  My mother was devastated.  The gold and turquoise bracelet from Korfu?  Gone.  The gold snowflake earrings from a trip to Breckenridge?  Gone.  Her grandmother's diamond ring?  Gone.  The diamond she was saving for me someday?  Gone.  Even if you ignore the monetary loss, the emotional loss was unbelievable.  These were memories in the form of metals and gemstones.  Family heirlooms.  I got her a pair of gold hoop earrings for her birthday and a pair of nice CZ studs for Giftmas, so at least her ears wouldn't be naked, but it's not the same.  At that moment, I made the executive decision not to be attached to things that other people might be prone to stealing.

I have physical memories, they just don't look valuable.

Here's the bulk of my physical memory objects.  The shelf itself is one, as my grandfather made it for me when I was about 10.  It was turquoise, white, red, and whitewashed at the time.  I had a whole Southwestern decorating thing going on.  What?  You don't like cactuses and coyotes?
I really need to get around to painting the wood door behind the "Beware of bats" thing.  And I should paint my walls.  The pink splotch was my first thought, but now I'm leaning towards the lavender on the paint chip in the light switch plate.

A shelf-by-shelf description of my treasures.
A Buddha beer bottle from a friend.  A plastic rat covered in little white hearts.  The corsage I wore to prom.  A small stuffed fuzzy thing from a friend.  A glittery bobble head gargoyle from my Grandmother.  A gargoyle puppet holding a smaller gargoyle.  A gargoyle wearing a pink sequin tiara from when I was little.  The thinking gargoyle.
A rude jester from when my brother went to Europe.  The volunteer gift from my first year of Pageant.  A rhino from college.  A white bobble head cat that looks like Miss Yvette (RIP).  Another fuzzy thing from a friend.  Another Buddha beer bottle.
A mug from Ren Faire.  Peacock feathers gathered as a child at a friend's house.  A blue jar full of important rocks  A brass dancer.  A jar full of patchouli.  A jar with a perfect dandelion head.  An iron frog full of tacks.  A small Japanese figure.  A jar with a bee in it.  A crochet bat from a friend.  A jar full of Herkimer diamonds.  Another Japanese figure.  Glass stones that say "I love you" from my mother.  A cigar box from a tobacco store in a town I used to visit as a kid.
A Balinese swan carving from a friend in college.  A terra-cotta warrior from the same friend.  A silver duck bank with a pink knit beanie from when I was a baby.  A crystal ball.  An antique egg cup from a trip to Quartzsite.  Gilded mistletoe.  A jar of coral from Hawaii.  A jar of dried ginger root.  A weird pink ceramic pig that my grandfather acquired once upon a time.  A jar full of seeds from a very impressively carved pumpkin.  A jar containing the leg of a very large grasshopper.  A rock that says "friends" from a friend.
Another jar of important rocks.  Another crochet bat from a friend.  A jar with a moth in it.  An old whiskey jug that was on a bureau in my childhood home.  A lei from my senior year in college.  A paper umbrella from my brother's wedding rehearsal dinner.  A fake owl.  A plastic witch who needs a paint job.  A silver candle cup from my sorority's 150th Anniversary Grand Convention (there are lion heads holding the handles).  An obsidian ball.
A wooden artist's hand my brother gave me for my birthday one year- it came out of the gift box flipping me off.  Sea urchin shells from a local beach.  Another jar of important rocks.  A jar full of small carnivore teeth and inner ear bones.  Rocks from Alaska.  A jar full of beach rocks from Israel.  My Steve Irwin bobble head (it says "CRIKEY").  A jar full of chicken feet from the chickens my cat killed and ate.  A jar full of black walnut shells.  A painted witch.  A bone box full of spare change.  A bullet casing from a camping trip in the desert.  A cigar box from the tobacconist.
A jar full of acorns.  A jar full of rabbit tails found one week at work.  Another small Japanese figure.  A crystal ball.  A jar filled with the remains of a relationship.  A bat canvas from my brother.  My beloved Teddy's urn and ashes.  A starfish from my brother's wife's brother's wedding reception.  A ceramic coin that says "Batty."  A small orange glass jar.  A Japanese vase.
A jar of seashells.  A jar of things found in owl pellets.  A pair of bird feet from a bird my cat killed and ate  A jar full of carpenter bee.  A jar full of objects found in the fire pit at a former place of employment.  A jar full of a sailor's beard, wrapped in silk.  Mistletoe from a hike in a canyon that had just had a rockslide.  A jar full of dill seeds.  A jar full of wishbones.  A jar full of darkling beetle.  A jar full of black sand and seashells from a Hawaiian beach that was covered by lava a few years later.  A mummified horned lizard.  A bobcat skull.  A jar full of cat whiskers.  Cigar boxes.
A Japanese Daruma figure my grandparents brought back after WW2.  A badger skull sitting on a small cauldron.  A vase of beaded flowers and feathers.  A small African figure from the friend who gave me the terra-cotta warrior.  A Hawaiian figure I found at a garage sale as a kid.  A geode from a camping trip.  An antique spice jar.  Another geode from another trip.  Two small Japanese vases.  A small brass Samurai helmet that is probably an ashtray.  A finch skull.  Some wishbones that need to go in the wishbone jar.
A ceramic skull tealight holder.  An empty Crystal Head vodka bottle from the friend who gave me the Buddha beers.  A real spiderweb.  A painted witch.  A small iron cauldron.  A tiny Japanese dish.  A rock that says "forever."  An abalone shell from a local beach (they're supposedly extinct this far south, but maybe a few are hanging on).

My pewter mug.  A purple glass ball.  Derp.  Afghani jewelry (probably fake, but it's pretty).  A picture of my mother.  A dog squeaker.  An important rock.  A tiny Spanish dictionary.  A replica vampire bat skull.  Wonder balsam for my new boots.

As I was skittering around my bedroom snapping pics of my treasures, I came across something that made me misty eyed..  My grandmother died in 2009.  I moved into her house in 2011.  As I was unpacking, I found an envelope with my name on it.  A birthday card, undated.  Tucked inside was $100.  I have no idea what birthday it was from, but I'm sure I opened it at the time and said thank you.  I used the money to buy a black wig, because surprise birthday money from a ghost should be spent on frivolous things.  It's the card that's the valuable part.
I am seriously considering having the "I love you" part tattooed on my body somewhere, just so I don't misplace it again.  Possibly followed by "I love yous" from all the important people in my life.

Someday, in the future, when some archaeologist runs across my stuff, I hope they're confused, and I hope they're amused, and I hope they don't think it's weird to have a jar full of bunny tails.












5 comments:

  1. I love all your stuff and stuffs! So fun.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your parents robbery. That just sucks and it's so heartbreaking and maddening.
    Cheers to black wigs and confusing archaeologists!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no wonder why I enjoy dressing as a pack rat, eh?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for giving me a glimpse at all your stuff. So many great things in your horde!
    Sorry that your parents got robbed. Things have so much more than monetary value and it's horrible to lose so many special things :-(
    Lovely to have found your grandmother's card though and great that you spent the money on something fun too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My deceased grandfather has always left pennies laying about. Every time I find one, I say "Hi Grandpa." Once my grandmother died, I started finding dimes, and I say "Hi Gramma." One day, during a rather tight period, I found a dime and jokingly said "Could you throw some folding money, please? Dimes don't buy much!" Two days later, I found the card and just about lost it. She always did have an odd sense of humor.

      Delete