Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New eyeballs


I will preface this by saying that I like the color of my eyes.  They're mostly a sort of crocodile green, with a grey limbal ring and a golden brownish around the iris.  Many people seem surprised when they realize they're not brown.  My driver's license says they're green, I think they're probably more hazel.  

Sometimes, you just want to be someone else for a while.  So, I ordered some contacts from Korea.  Koreans, if you are unaware, are fond of something called "circle lenses," which make your iris look much larger than it actually is.  They come in a range of diameters, from "human irises might be this big" to "holy crap are you a shark?", and in all sorts of colors and patterns.  

I have no problem sticking things in my eye for fun.  What the hell?  Let's try on new eyes.


Giant pic of my head, only because I don't have a good closeup of this pair.  These are EOS 3-tone V304 Turquoise Blues.  They're the smallest of the lot, at 14mm, and the limbal ring is a rather subtle chocolate brown.  A lot of my natural color shows on this one.  It's ever so faintly lighter than my natural color, so the effect is interesting in person.  I am a terrible photographer.  Also, the zit on my chin... was that there all day?  Anyone else think it's weird that you notice things in pictures that you never notice in the mirror?

My patented self-portrait shot.  These are EOS J211 Cotton Blues.  They're very dark on me, and also larger than the 3-tones.  These are 14.2mm, and are definitely creeping towards "noticeably unnatural." Still, kind of fun.  I find that, when these drift around, can cause a very bizarre "wall-eyed" look.  Whatever, I'm schmexy, no matter what direction my eyes are pointing.  

Speaking of unsettling.  I got these expressly for days when I'm feeling Gobliny.  These are GnG/Dueba Crystal Diamond Blacks, and they're huuuuuuuge.  They're 15mm.  When I'm not making my Tante-face, they cover a ridiculous amount of my sclera.  The fact that you can see the brown part of my eye next to the pupil is sort of strange.  If it was darker out, and my pupils were dilated, it would be very Jaws-like.  These are not for wearing to the grocery store.  These also make my dark circles look magnificent (and yes, I'm wearing concealer.  This is the "after" shot!).  Holy cripes, are those getting bad.  It's hereditary.  I should probably start saving money to get those fixed.  Also visible in this pic- my silver fringe hair with the weird bend in the middle.  You'd think the bend would grow out as the hair gets longer, but it doesn't.  The rest of my silver hairs act like normal hairs... the one up front?  Nope.  It's got a mind of it's own.

Renaissance Pleasure Faire/ Southern is currently in full swing, and I'm going on the 21st.  I'm going to be debuting my new Goblin attire (for which I will have appropriate eyes, yes?).  This is, of course, provided that I finish sewing.  I have a professional conference to go to this weekend, so I'm cutting it close.

I have yet to finish my jewelry- but I have all the parts, at least.

What?  Diamonds aren't my thing.


8 comments:

  1. AHHHH!!!! The last pair are so freaky, but COOL! Yipes, you do look all goblin! hehehe ... AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's scary is that they make BIGGER lenses. 16mm lenses aren't unheard of. I could barely get my eye open wide enough to get the 15mm ones in. They're like dinner plates.

      Delete
  2. I love the Turquoise! Gorgeous! And the last pair are pretty bitchin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't immediately like the turquoise ones, but they're growing on me. I'd like it if they were lighter- most Korean lenses are pretty dark.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I can't wait to see the finished jewelry. Those are some pretty interesting materials.
    The goblin eyes are neat, and the "holy crap are you a shark" look is obviously extremely kawaii

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so cute on the first picture, and if you haven't told me, I wouldn't notice your contacts, they are so natural.

    I also love the goblin-ish ones.

    I have astigmatism, so I could only wear contacts with glasses, wich also looks confusing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're subtle. I'm not usually one for subtle, especially since I'm not wearing contacts for any sort of vision correction. Mostly, I think it'll be fun to play with different colored eyeshadows than usual. See what they go with.

      Delete