Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I'm a professional.

This weekend, I attended a conference for outdoor educators. Most of them are patchouli-lovin, dreadlock-wearin, jam-band-listenin, earth-toned hippies. They're good people, I just don't quite match.

I wore precisely zero earth tones all weekend, yanno.

These conferences are at residential campsites. There is a talent night. My talents are not suitable for such a thing, so I dressed for the occasion instead. In summer, I am Chieftainess of a small island country populated by 3rd through 6th graders- our country is called Turgundy. I wore my regalia, plus a coat.

What? You don't engage in this sort of foolishness at YOUR professional conferences?

7 comments:

  1. That is some pretty spectacular headwear your highness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, fang you. The twiddly bits jiggle about when I walk or nod. I feel like one of those birds of paradise from Planet Earth.

      Delete
  2. Yes, librarian conferences would definitely be better if we could wear "regalia". Your regalia is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it your mission to make regalia a part of librarian conferences. This is an important task. People will read the book if the librarian is dressed as the protagonist.

      Delete
  3. So awesome! I bet you have so much fun at your job!!! When I was in school I worked at the Austin Nature and Science center as a camp counselor for the five year olds. The absolute BEST job I've ever had in my entire life.

    You regalia is pretty friggin' snazzy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The five year olds? Yikes. Anyone younger than 3rd grade scares the crap out of me.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, they all scare the crap out of me, even my own children!

      Delete