Monday, January 9, 2012

The Vet

I took Mister Stinkyass to the vet today.  I adore my vet.  He knows his business, overfeeds his own Pug even though he knows he shouldn't (he's one of us!), and has a heart of gold.  He's got ADHD, a New York accent, and has seen every animal of mine minus the rats.

Gypsy peed in the crate on the way over.  He usually shits himself, so I counted that as a win.

Blood, urine, and fecal samples were taken.

Many bad poop jokes were thrown about.

"We're going to rectify this situation."

"We need to eliminate whatever's triggering this."

So it was good times.

As they were palpating his gut, he lost control of himself.  So that was a treat.  They washed him off, but that also meant that they couldn't shave his hind end for me.  Oh well, I can have Mom bring the clippers over for a home haircut.

We're taking antibiotics and Flagyl, and possibly switching foods.  This is in addition to his usual insulin shots.  The funny walk is not arthritis, it's diabetic neuropathy.  At least it doesn't hurt.

Cost me an arm and a leg.

Now the dog is scratching her ear.  Dammit, dog, it is not your turn for this.  No ear infections!  I am tapped out for vet money this month!

In lighter news, I am almost done with the preparations to go to Quartzite.  The sleeping platform is built, the window shades are 90% done, the gear boxes are ready, and the air mattress is patched and loaded with batteries.  I have affixed a Transformers decal to the side window of my Element, because it is now a snazzy little rolling tent.  It's a Decepticon logo- the Autobot logo is less aesthetically pleasing.  Bad guys usually have better logos.

3 comments:

  1. My dogs used to have a habit of scratching their ears -- upon a closer look, the inside looked red and irritated. We tried some natural cleaning spray stuff to help, and it pretty much solved it. But if it persisted enough, then we would have had to load them into the car to drive upstate for the vet that they go to.

    The nice thing is, the place where we adopted our dogs also offers a vet service. I believe there's also a pet hospital in my town, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I love the way you put things, not that having to take a dog or any animal to the vet is a good thing or funny, but your posts make me smile lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tenebris- she's a Poodle, they're prone to having grotty ears. I keep washing them out with some tea tree oil ear stuff, hoping to stave off the inevitable infection. I cannot imagine having to drive upstate to go to the vet- I complain about the 20 minute drive I have now!

    @Snowhyte- well, you know, if I didn't laugh I'd cry. It all is sort of funny, in a gruesome way.

    ReplyDelete