Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Morton Salt Girl can go right to hell

When it rains, it pours.

The cat stayed in the vet hospital overnight.  The vet wanted to do lots of invasive, expensive things to try to find a cause for his chronic diarrhea.  I cried a lot in public in the last 24 hours.

My coworkers have been an absolute life saver, as they have covered my programs and checked up on me and generally have been angelic.  I am terribly grateful for my job, and the people who I spend my days with.

I sprung the cat from the hospital against the vet's recommendations.  I'm not letting you scope my cat's intestines, he's 12 and diabetic and crabby and it costs $1300 and it would only make him angry.  Let's switch his food to something hypoallergenic, and see what happens.  I'm just glad he's not pissing blood anymore.  Tomorrow, I will call the regular vet, and discuss what happened last night and today, and continue to press on.

As I was relating this whole wretched tale to my roommate (who is also a coworker, and who had made me soup because she figured I hadn't eaten), it occurred to me that this is all going to be useful experience for when my parents become decrepit and old and I have to take care of them.  I'm the "parent-caring-for" child, my brother is the "breeder."  He can finance it all, but he doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with doctors, hospitals, chronic illnesses, or death.  I am much stonier and pricklier than my brother.  I have a great affinity for Deities of dying (the process, not necessarily the state of being dead- I respect Anubis well enough, but what's done is done).  Perhaps this is why I get sent the sick animals- I can handle the process.

I am going to go to Quartzite this weekend, as planned (if the cat doesn't begin dying again), and the cat is going to spend the weekend at my mother's house.  My mother has powerful cat-fu, and an uncanny feel for the Right Thing To Do At This Very Moment.  I am going to take the dog, which will be exhausting and limiting and good for both of us.  She will get used to crowds and other dogs and not being in charge, and I will be the Dog Anchor for 36 hours.s

Incidentally, do you know where the "when it rains, it pours" tagline came from?  Morton Salt has an anti-clumping agent.  When regular salt gets damp (such as when the humidity goes up during a rainstorm), it clumps and won't come out of the little spout on the box.  Morton's will still pour during a rainstorm.

5 comments:

  1. I'm continually shocked by what pet health care costs these days. :( It's so heartbreaking to see sweet, innocent little animals suffering. I hope Kitty gets better soon with the new food! Another option to consider, if the hypoallergenic food doesn't work, is a frozen raw diet. I decided to feed that to my Maine Coons (after doing HOURS of research), and it's helped them maintain a healthy weight. They are young, so I can't say first-hand about the health benefits, but many people say their pets have seen dramatic improvement for a variety of medical conditions when switched to raw food because it's so similar to their "natural" diet. It's a bit of a pain, and a bit more expensive, but could be worth it in the long run. We spend about $1 a day on each cat. We buy ours from a local independent pet store, but you can also order several brands online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @VictorianKitty- Isn't the price of vet care insane? I haven't spent this much on MY healthcare in the last 2 years. I suppose it's harder to do if the patient won't tell you what's wrong.

    So far, so good on the new food. Apparently, rabbit and pea formula makes us very very perky. And talkative. And demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your cat will be alright and not in any pain. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear it is so expensive and best wishes to you and your cat :-)

    ReplyDelete