Saturday, October 22, 2011

Product whore

So, in the last few weeks, I have purchased many many MANY things in order to create my Halloween costume (I'm going as a ghost, and it's not as simple as it sounds).  In the hopes that this might help anyone else, here are some product reviews.

For the record, I bought all these things.  I am not a corporate shill, I just like what I like.

Tarte EmphasEyes Inner Rim Liner:  RUBBISH.  Waxy and crumbly and weirdly pigmented.  I'm returning it in the morning.

Mehron Celebre Foundation in White:  PRETTY DAMN GOOD.  No weird smell, no lanolin (I'm allergic), nice smooth coverage.  I've had a splotch of it on my forearm for several hours, and it has yet to smear of, because of...

MUFE HD Microfinish Loose Powder in Translucent:  ALSO PRETTY DAMN GOOD.  Weird silky texture, no weird smell, no color at all, and it's keeping the foundation firmly locked upon my arm.

EcoTools Foundation Brush:  FANTASTIC.  I love EcoTools brushes.  They're cheap, they're quality, and they feel nice.  Screw MAC, I like these.  The handles are stubby, if you're into that sort of thing.  I am.

NYX Slide-on Pencil in Black:  GOOD FOR CERTAIN THINGS.  It's the holy grail of black pencils.  It's creamy, it's smooth, it's REALLY black, and it doesn't move once it's dry.  That said, it's not great in the waterline, as it moved around quite a bit on me.  Maybe your eyes are different.  Either way, it's BLAAAAAACK.

Costume Lenses from YouKnowIt.com:  I'M PRETTY HAPPY HERE, GUYS.  The "Dolly-eye Blues" are very opaque, very comfortable (I don't wear contacts, and this was my first experience with them, they might suck but I had no problems with them), and wildly unnatural looking.  Coworkers thought I looked creepy.  I have really small eyes to begin with, and once these monsters were in, I looked like a blue-eyed shark.  The "White-out Mesh" lenses are less comfortable, but still doable.  They obstruct a fair bit of your vision, so don't drive or operate heavy machinery while wearing them.  It's easier to see in a darkened room than in a light one, oddly enough.  Like looking through fog, but still a neat effect.  The shipping was free, and they were in my mailbox within a week, which is great, considering they came from England.

I am still test-running Maybelline's "Lasting Drama" Gel Eyeliner.  I am sitting around my house looking like a raccoon, trying to find the one black eyeliner that won't migrate off my waterline and into my eye. It, too, is REALLY black, and I have no complaints about the application.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment